Extraordinary Leaders for Our Fast-Changing World
The BMe Community Vanguard Fellowship is an elite leadership experience designed and facilitated by leading global authorities on social innovation, media, public policy, narrative, race and culture. BMe Vanguard cohorts concentrate on specific critical matters in the Black community such as our youth, health, veterans, and the roadmap to a promising future.
Knowledge: Learn how to claim your expertise to take control of narratives about your community.
Influence: Engage audiences in the conversations of today through the media and other public forums.
Network: Join a family of over 300 Black leaders, entrepreneurs, executives, activists, and more.
The BMe Vanguard Fellowship is based on BMe Community’s field-leading fellowships for Black social entrepreneurs, and a 2018 pilot with The OpEd Project that resulted in Fellows:
Our 6-month intensive is taught by the top leaders in their fields from BMe, The Aspen Global Leadership Network, The OpEd Project, Color of Change, PolicyLink, The Raben Group and is based on the research and insights of Nobel Laureates and global authorities in their fields.
- New Narrative Power: Understand how narrative dictates our decisions, identity, and culture and explore how asset-framed narratives improve agenda-setting, engagement, cultural competency, fundraising and every argument for equity.
- Your Voice: Learn how to claim your expertise, be persuasive in all communication, write and pitch winning op-eds – from active, award-winning journalists and editors.
- Write To Change The World: During this time, professional journalists and editors help Fellows to craft and pitch 2 articles each that then appear in respected media consumed by institutional leaders.
- Changing The Stakes: Learn the policy history, current threats and opportunities related to your Fellowship’s interests. Read and discuss vital issues from a global context. Collaborate in small groups on specific ideas, initiatives or challenges you have. Plan coordinated media.
- New Narrative Community : Bring it all together to finalize your shared change-agenda. Then immediately gain new allies and resources at our national conference, where hundreds equally brilliant Fellows from across multiple sectors will welcome you into this sincere Black Leadership Family.
There are some required readings and ALL Fellows will have access to a private ‘pocket network’ of 300+ vetted Fellows and Champions, forever.
2019 BMe Vanguard Fellowships
For leaders working to change the future of Black America at the national and international level. As the civil rights generation sunsets and the sun rises on a truly digital world driven by artificial intelligence, global economies, new narratives and the most diverse population in American history, what will be the driving narrative, identity and agenda of the Black community for the next 50 years? Imagine a Vanguard of Leaders who construct a new, coherent, asset-oriented narrative of the Black community that posits Black people as owners in The New World dawning.
Skillman BMe Vanguard Fellowship – Detroit Youth – For leaders invested in Detroit’s future and its young people. Our youth, teens and young adults are regularly presented as the face of the city’s challenges even though their creativity, entrepreneurship, leadership and other contributions more-often fuel hope, opportunity and success for their peers and communities. Why aren’t we telling those stories and making more plans and programs that build upon those strengths? Imagine a Vanguard of leaders who tell the story of Detroit with our brilliant young leaders as the heroes, and then invests in them for their continued benefit to our city.
For leaders working on behalf of Black veterans. The two most common images of US Veterans are that of hero or that of derelict with Black veterans being far underrepresented in the first and over-represented in the latter. This has profound cultural, policy and economic consequences. Imagine a Vanguard of Leaders presenting more accurate portrayals of Black veterans that reveals their continued service to their country at home.